[crossfire] Bug [ 1735459 ] Ground view missing face updates

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Wed Jun 27 12:22:13 CDT 2007

Hello.

>   At some level, it is very easy to fix - if player is on a space, and
> anything (including face) on that space change, we just send all the
> contents of that space again to the player.

Why all items? Don't items on a space get a tag, that can be used to simply
send this item's update to clients?

>   Now a simple answer could be we don't really care about bandwidth, and I
> can put in my fix.  I'm not sure if that is really the right answer.

If it is really that costly, I'd say no. The bug isn't important enough to
warrant the fix.

>   But going further, the client has some level of animation support - for
> whatever reason, the code to animate the ground was never put in.  I just
> wrote that, and it works for some cases - namely, those animations we let
> the client do (continuous animations like fountains, dragon transports, or
> rubies).  But it doesn't handle the cases for things like handles (not
> really an animation, but a change of state), or gates (animate once, then
> stop).
>
>   I'm thinking that the correct answer is a mix of the last two:  If it is
> an animation the client can handle, server sends nothing.  If it is a
> change of face that the client can't handle, then servers send an
> updateitem for a new face.  And a *player pointer to maplook to make easy
> lookups to the player should be relatively straightforward.

Yes, client should handle all animation it can. Would simplify the server
code, and save some bandwidth.
Also, one should consider the case where the modified face is not visible
because the map layer is full (can happen if many objects).

Just my 2 cents of €

Nicolas
--
http://nicolas.weeger.free.fr [Petit site d'images, de textes, de code, bref