[crossfire] New Quests

Daniel Daxler daniel.daxler at vbsbowl.com
Wed Jun 27 07:52:11 CDT 2007

Balance is the key!

Itempower:

Itempower 1 for Girdle of Valriel is just a Map abuse I have seen before,
there use to be a wizard in a pub with 1 hp and 3 million exp. He is gone
now, thank god. There use to be big wizards in Brest that stood in No magic
zone. That was very easy experience and gear. They are still there but a lot
more dangerous as they are not affected by the no-magic zone. Come to think
of it I belive this was the intended reward after a good map, a Great wizard
providing great gear and exp freely.

We cannot reward players with something that spoils the game. If this girdle
was god given ( not droppable ) then you might get away with a little abuse,
but not this much.
As it is now you can give it to a level 1 player.
Girdle of Valriel = Str+3,Dex+3,Con+3,Wis+5,Cha+2,grace+3,ac+2

The girdle is just an example, and the next best one "of the fire god" is an
abuse as well I think.

I say Do not fix the Map, fix the game. Use the existing function: (item.c)
int calc_item_power(const object *op, int flag)

AND do it always, no matter what the map/item suggests.

calc_item_power(Girdle of Valriel) = 21 I think.

We do want to improve the function to distinguish between resist slow and
resist fire. Slay Dragon and Ant as well. Resists 80% is much better than
20% and not by a factor 4. I have sketched up a suggestion if someone wants.

An advantage is that when you enchant some armour you don't triple the
itempower of the item as you might today.

A disadvantage apart from everyone wearing too much itempower is branding a
weapon to some god, will make it impossible to wield.

Experience:

Why not calculate the exp generated by each monster by assessing how
big/dangerous/hard to kill it is.

int calc_exp_for_monster

With both of these functions you will not see any more item or experience
abuse like these.

If a rod of burning hands level 80 resists proper usage 79 times of 80 for a
level 1 player, we might be in business.

Regards Daniel (Player off and on since 1991)