[crossfire] class guild map (was: reorganizing the entire world)

Juergen Kahnert crossfire at kahnert.de
Fri Jun 29 00:50:20 CDT 2007

On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 10:30:56AM -0500, Rick Tanner wrote:
> Is this the right or appropriate thread to start listing what one
> should learn in the guild map? And the shared maps?

The class guild map is useful even without the reorganization of the
entire world, so talking about the appearance of them is better made in
a different thread.

> For instance: movement (walking, running, attacking), applying/removing
>  and (un)locking inventory items, buying and selling from a shop, using
> money conversion and detect magic/curse altars, learning spells,
> learning new skills and so on.

Yes, thinks like that. Also binding keys, getting a cult, ... Almost all
the newbies like to ask after they just started. ;)

It could be one corridor for the general stuff and another one to learn
the class specific skills.

Players should be free to skip the parts they don't like to learn or
they already know.

But if they skip the lessons, because they don't like to learn it right
now, we should keep it open for them to return, if they want to learn it
later.

Maybe it's possible to place the one handed weapon skill in the chamber
where you learn how to use it. You read the scroll, you get your weapon
and than you have to show your ability to use it.

The skill scroll should be non pickable, just readable. And as soon as
it's read, there should appear a new one for the next player. Same for
the weapon.

An experienced player just needs to read the scroll, pick up the weapon
and skips the "how to handle" part.

This scene could look like this. You have a NPC behind a table and in
front of an armory. The player isn't able to enter the armory. It's just
nice looking to explain where the weapons are coming from. After the
player took the weapon he/she should be told to enter the next room to
learn how to use the weapon.

Something like that and for every skill which belongs to the class.

    Jürgen