[crossfire] New Quests

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Wed Jun 27 23:53:56 CDT 2007

Daniel Daxler wrote:
> Balance is the key!

  Much about using built in functions (and not map values) to calculate exp and
item power removed...

  IMO, trying to enforce this in the code is not the right way to go.  In terms
of experience, if map makers are intentionally trying to provide these
loopholes, they'll still find ways.  They can read those functions just as well
as we can.  Past experience has shown that trying to enforce it by code will
pretty much always come back to bite us - the first time a map maker comes up
with some method to work around the function, if you go and modify the function,
then it becomes difficult to know how much other stuff you break (item power for
existing objects could all change, both up and down, etc, really screwing things
up).

  The difficulty field of maps is a perfect case - it becomes hard to make a
function that can really say how difficult a map is, hence why it is a field the
map makers can set.  And in fact, there is a bug right now saying that lots of
maps are not setting it, with the fix (which I agree with) being to update the
maps, not try to write better code to deal with this.  No matter how good code
we write, it will never be as good as someone looking at the map/item/creature
and saying these are fair values.

  So I really think the correct fix here is in the maps.  Such map abuses should
be fixed.  After all, crossfire is distributed with a fixed set of maps - we
control that content, and can fix it.  If some servers run their own map sets
with bad items, that is their choice.

  Right now, there are various scripts that check maps for certain things.  I
think the better approach is to modify those scripts to check for apparent
abuses (exp for monsters, item power in objects, perhaps other things like a
large amount of treasure in general, etc).  Before any new map is added, it gets
run through these scripts - if the scripts find problems, they either get
corrected, or a knowledgeable person says those values seem fair, given the
specifics of the map.

  Lastly, I'll note that people often talk about these abuses, but seldom do
they get officially recorded.  These abusive items/creatures are not there
because the developers don't care, but more likely because the developers were
never informed of them.