[crossfire] Project: New Intro

Alex Schultz alex_sch at telus.net
Fri Jun 29 14:38:00 CDT 2007

(Note: This is related to the "reorganizing the world" thread, but is
for a specific plan/proposal/plot)

Hi,

One thing we are lacking is a focus on much, and often such focuses we
have are code oriented. Much of the mapping and content creation (what
there is...) is done as a series of one-man-jobs. I feel that if we are
to get anything of significance done on content creation besides new
quests here and there, that it is imperative that we attempt a
concentrated team effort on one specific thing until it is complete. I
hope that the success of organization of the decision-making of the
switch from CVS can be repeated on a larger scale. Hopefully I do not
seem silly in this attempt to rally an effort but I feel that I must try.

So there's the question of, what do we try to focus our efforts on to
complete? I propose that we focus on what content the player sees first
in the game because after all, it not only is the first part to leave an
impression, but also how effective it is at teaching the player impacts
all of their other experiences while new to the game. I believe we
should redesign the intro of crossfire, and expand it beyond the newbie
house and such we have now, I believe into it's own island or walled
town. Scorn was in some ways intended to be a newbie town, but really
many areas of it require level 10 or higher to be effective and it has
become a transportation nexus. Scorn certainly needs reorganization, but
instead of turning it into a newbie town I believe it would be more
effective to make a brand new one of the first two or three levels in
which the player would be taught alot about how the world works and how
to play.

On the maps mailing list one new newbie house was created though didn't
really finish being polished: This could be used as part of it but much
more would certainly be needed. We should create a checklist of things
to do for this new introduction to CF and should have a clear listing of
who is working on what. Teamwork and organization would be key in
achieving this. I propose the following as a checklist to start with
though it would be expanded as things go along:

-Decide on what newbies need to learn before getting into the game
-Decide how to sort this into the different maps, and add each of these
maps to the checklist
-Decide how to lay the maps out in a small isolated (island or walled) town
-Integrate with the CF world.

It is important to remember that organization and focus of effort are
key. If we work hard on this and are organized, it and are focused this
could be completed by the end of August with ease and could help the
experience of new players greatly.
So who would be willing to help with this team effort of content creation?

Thanks,
    Alex Schultz