[crossfire] combat notes

David Delbecq tchize at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 03:56:08 CST 2007

Speaking of throwing objects in general, i don't know if it was adressed
in your code, but the
movement speed of the throwed object (arrow, dagger, whatever) should
not be the same as the speed
of the object itself.

For example, if a dagger has a speed such that player can attack 3 times
per second with it,
it certainly should move faster when thrown. 3 squares per/secon is
unnatural, the player can run faster than that
and take the hit in itself. If a weapon was that slow, it would
certainly drop on the ground immediatly (or make a very high balistic
curve). I guess a speed factor of 5 or maybe better 10 should be applied
to the throwed object. Note that it shouldn't affect the distance the
object can travel, that part is correct in current code afaik.
What should also be removed in throwed items code is the fact items
slows down in the end of movement. It is very unnatural. A dagger reach
it's limit range because it drops on ground due to gravity, not because
it is slowing down to a halt (that would be the behaviour of a rolling
object).

I noticed all this when fixing the issue where throwing was not giving
correct experience.

En l'instant précis du 29/11/07 08:08, Mark Wedel s'exprimait en ces
termes: