[crossfire] combat notes

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Fri Nov 30 02:19:58 CST 2007

  So I made some changes to the tavern test server, just to try things out.
 From  before, made these changes:

  need 5000 exp for 2nd level (and rest of levels are likewise scaled up)
  reduced exp by monsters less than level 5 by half to 1/3rd old value
  disabled generators

  It is an interesting experiencing - turning off generators (I just disabled
the code instead of going through and removing them from the maps) changes map
focus a bit - in newbie tower, I was perfectly happy letting the monsters come
to me since I didn't have to worry about the generators.  While I'm still
playing a fighter type character, I can certainly seem to alternative play
strategies that could open up - if one was playing a thief, luring and killing
the occasional orc and then sneaking around to the back would be a potential
strategy if there was some nice treasure there.  With generators always making
monsters, that strategy doesn't really work.

  The newbie tower, with those adjustments, did not get enough exp to gain a
level - got about 3000 exp from it.  That also includes the exp for killing
generators, which I did not adjust so are some nice bonuses.  In the end, it
took about 20 minutes of actual fighting/adventuring to gain the 5000 exp for
second level (and more like 30 minutes of actual time, including time to sell
loot, aborted attempt in dry well after setting off trap releasing earth
elementals, etc).  That pacing seemed reasonable.  I think I'm also getting
better/more used to the combat pacing, as it seems like I was able to get
through the newbie tower a lot faster than I did before

  Disabling generator would require a lot of map rework - after aborting on the
dry well, I went to the drinking fountain.  With the generator popping out
monsters, that map was largely empty. Also, because it does effectively reduce
amount of killing on a map (with generators, I'd probably kill another 10-25%
more monsters on newbie tower), which may mean more people have to hunt through
other maps to find monsters to kill.

  As a note, I'm not suggesting that all generators should be removed - certain
maps rely on them (like training centers), but at some level, I think it may
make the game more enjoyable without them - often before it would be a case of
just a slug fest of whittling the monsters down to get to a reasonable number to
then kill the generators - not particularly interesting in many cases.  I just
disabled them as a quick way to see how it would change the game.