[crossfire] Metaserver2 / schmorp

Yann Chachkoff yann.chachkoff at myrealbox.com
Tue Sep 11 02:40:58 CDT 2007

>   That is certainly an option, although I did backport the metaserver2
> support to the 1.x branches.
>
>   One thought behind that was for the metaserver1 to go away.  Another was
> for clients to filter out incompatible servers, so for example, if I
> connect with a 2.x client and because of protocol changes it is not
> compatible with 1.x servers, it wouldn't even show them in the selection
> list (and vice versa for 1.x clients on 2.x servers)

Then, I wonder why the TRT servers are not filtered out, given that they're
clearly not compatible with the trunk client.

>   That is why I think the client should be modified to not show/drop
> entries from servers that are not compatible with the client.  Thus, the
> player would never see a 2.x-trt server if in fact the client they have
> won't be able to play on it.

Indeed. The problem is when the server itself is not "honest", and does not
report accurate information.

- Should I remind you that TRT is reporting "Standard" for the arch, map, and
code base ?

- Should I remind you that TRT is reporting "2.2" as its version string,
increasing the confusion furthermore ?

- Should I also underline that TRT reports "1026/1023" as the protocol
version, despite the fact it uses elements that were never included in the
original Crossfire 1026/1023 protocol ?

I agree that the filtering is the solution to sort out between the various
versions of servers reporting accurate information. But I do think it isn't
an option for servers who don't "play nice" with the metaserver2, reporting
false informations just to increase their visibility - for those,
blacklisting (until the issues can be solved with the server administrator)
seems to be the only option.