[crossfire] Branch/1.x and libglade client, etc.

Kevin R. Bulgrien kbulgrien at worldnet.att.net
Tue Sep 11 07:30:37 CDT 2007

I have pretty much decided not to port the Libglade changes back onto
branches/1.x.  I've looked at it, and the volume of labor to backport it
is not something that I want to do.  Too much already has been done on
trunk that would have to be filtered out in a merge.

Further, it seems the libglade feature is indeed a new enough feature to
warrant staying on trunk.  Unfortunately, it appears that the libglade
conversion has some bug-slugging to do.  There are subtle differences
between libglade and glade-2 generated code.  I haven't tracked it down
yet to be sure, but it seems magic-maps are broken in a bad way.  I play
the libglade client all the time now, so its not bad, but it was not so
good do a magic map inside a dungeon and then have to disconnect/reconnect
to get my play map back.  It could be during my recent (unchecked in)
work that I induced the error, but I don't think it is that.  There are
clues to a fix, but it will take some time.  So, the point is, going
"unstable" on branch is yet another reason I won't backport it.

BTW, there is a lot of sentiment against porting everything back to
branches/1.x.  It would be nice to officially declare at least client
done except for bug fixes.  I'd like to keep working on the client, but
I don't want to fight the diffs anymore.  For example, the volume of
trivial changes on trunk is HUGE in maps, and does not seem worth the
time to sort through.

Kevin