[crossfire] Branch/1.x and libglade client, etc.

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Wed Sep 12 00:02:44 CDT 2007

Kevin R. Bulgrien wrote:
> I have pretty much decided not to port the Libglade changes back onto
> branches/1.x.  I've looked at it, and the volume of labor to backport it
> is not something that I want to do.  Too much already has been done on
> trunk that would have to be filtered out in a merge.

  That is fine by me.  In fact, I'd say this is something that should not be
ported back, because of the size of the changes.

> BTW, there is a lot of sentiment against porting everything back to
> branches/1.x.  It would be nice to officially declare at least client
> done except for bug fixes.  I'd like to keep working on the client, but
> I don't want to fight the diffs anymore.  For example, the volume of
> trivial changes on trunk is HUGE in maps, and does not seem worth the
> time to sort through.

  My personal opinion is that the 1.x branch of pretty much everything should be
bugfix only.  OTOH, I've also broken that by porting back the metaserver2 logic.

  but I certainly don't think every fix/change needs to be ported back and
forth.  Minor changes may not be a big deal, but certainly big changes should
not be fixed.

  An interesting question, given these different glade files (including one that
is gtk-1 like, from my understanding), is should the x11 client and gtk client
directories be removed from the trunk client area, and the gtk2 client really be
the only official C based trunk client?