[crossfire] Project: Slow down combat (vs magic)

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Fri Sep 28 11:47:45 CDT 2007

>   I think most everyone knows magic is messed up in many ways - many of the
> top vote getters were related to magic.  And certainly once melee combat is
> done, the spell system gets redone

I'd say we should try to do both. Fixing melee implies to balance monsters, so
we should take the time to balance for magic too.

>   I'd also say that is only really required if the current system (code)
> was deemed completely unsuitable and thus needed to be redone from scratch.
> Obviously, in that case, you'd need want to try and design most of the
> system before writing code.

If we were to rewrite from scratch, yes, designing beforehand is nice :)

>   I don't think crossfire is in that state.  Combat needs to adjustments,
> as do spells.  Some of those adjustments may be pretty big.  But I also
> think that archetype changes will be a much bigger piece than code changes.

Probably, yes.
And restarting from scratch isn't that fun, and not required imo.

Nicolas
--
http://nicolas.weeger.org [Petit site d'images, de textes, de code, bref de
l'aléatoire !]