[crossfire] Project: Slow down combat (vs magic)

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sun Sep 30 02:24:43 CDT 2007

Nicolas Weeger wrote:
>>   I think most everyone knows magic is messed up in many ways - many of the
>> top vote getters were related to magic.  And certainly once melee combat is
>> done, the spell system gets redone
>
> I'd say we should try to do both. Fixing melee implies to balance monsters, so
> we should take the time to balance for magic too.

  I'm not denying that magic needs to be redone - in fact, I know magic needs to
be redone.

  A baseline against what to tune is needed however.  If monsters are still
getting adjusted to be right power in melee, any adjustment to spells is hard,
because the monster may still be in flux.

  But what may work is something like deferred tuning.  What I tend to see for
melee tuning is that it will basically start at low levels and work up.  So we
may be at a point where we say 'melee combat up to about level 5 is correct',
and we could then start working on the spells that tune magic up to about level
5.  And if some major problem is found in how things are working that requires
re-tuning of monsters, at least things are not so far along that it prevents
major effort on retuning everthing.