[crossfire] Incorrect Type and Material on multiple objects in Fun Zone

Raphaël Quinet raphael at gimp.org
Mon Aug 25 13:16:53 CDT 2008

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 20:26:55 -0500, Rick Tanner <leaf at real-time.com> wrote:
> Mapper complained about "Couldn't find archetype 0" so I went to check
> on the map with the map editor (snapshot build from Aug-18-2008.)
>
> The Map Editor also gave warnings about many objects (chairs, beds,
> tables, pipeweed) having the wrong material and type.

Well, in this case I think that both mapper and gridarta gave wrong
warning.  All objects in the lobby had been given "type 0" and
"material 0" in order to make sure that they could not be destroyed
by spells or other means.  This is useful because the lobby is where
players respawn after being killed on the battleground tiles in the
various Fun Zone maps.  Blocking spells in the lobby wouldn't be
sufficient because players who are killed in one of these maps could
have been in the process of throwing a dangerous potion (fiery
destruction, black fire, etc.) or attempting a prayer triggering
godly retribution.

> I tried to manually fix them, but found it much easier to just remove
> and re-insert the objects in question.   I only worked on fz_lobby, see
> r9752.
>
> Given the development history of these maps.. I suspect that the
> snapshot .jar file is out of date or the gtk editor may have some
> outdated information or my archetypes/editor has the wrong or outdated info.

This was intentional, so I think that the bug is in the inappropriate
warnings that you got, not in the maps.  Both Chad (using gridarta)
and myself (using gcrossedit) had spent some time editing the
attributes of each object and setting their type and material to 0 in
order to make sure that they could not be destroyed.  This was done by
Chad in the original version of most Fun Zone maps, and further done by
myself for the lobby in SVN revision 9710: "Protect the furniture
against accidental destruction by spells" (after Chad complained that
some objects could still be destroyed).

I think that the changes in revision 9752 should be reverted, because
the lobby can now be destroyed easily.  Also, I think that the changes
in revision 9751 are also due to a wrong warning in the editor: the
exits were not set to /city/city.  They were not set at all in the map,
which is IMHO appropriate for unused teleporters.  You probably saw them
as pointing to /city/city because the editor used the default value for
attributes that were not set in the map (although gcrossedit doesn't do
that and leaves the field blank).  Doing svn diff on revision 9751 also
shows that it includes some other changes compared to 9710: some barrels
lost their "type 0" attributes.

> I'm posting this, because I don't know what could be the cause and to
> also alert others to this problem(?).

As this was intentional, I would like both r9751 and r9752 to be
reverted and I think that the mapper tool should be modified so that it
doesn't complain about objects of type/material 0.  However, if someone
can suggest a better way to handle this, I would be happy to discuss
other solutions.

-Raphaël