[crossfire] [Rebootworld] Plan of attack

Lalo Martins lalo.martins at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 06:36:01 CST 2008

These are general stages in the plan to take over ^W^W reboot the world
and content.  The stages/milestones have no schedule or anything, because
this is my free time and AFAIK I'm doing this alone, so they're done when
they're done, faster if you help :-)

Of course there's one more major point that has been talked about and
I'm ignoring here: character creation.  I think most active
contributors have at one point or another proposed ideas of a better
way.  So what I'll do is I'll just ignore it; I'll stick to in-game
creation exactly as in 1.x until the alternative exists.  That implies
I'll be doing a HallOfSelection-like thing... I don't mind wasting
that work, shouldn't take more than a few hours.

0: Preparation
==============

Write stories, make notes about the layout and "personality" of the
kingdom and city of Scorn.

This ends when both:

1. I have enough notes that I'm comfortable with going on (should have
in a week or so).

2. A decision is made on tall faces and stuff; and server, client, and
gridarta are able to edit and test content using whatever system was
decided upon.

Not rushing the coders or anything, I have no problem with doing this
for months if that's how things turn out :-)

1: Basic Scorn
==============

Arches and maps for a map of Scorn city and vicinities that you can
walk around and chat in.  Possibly an inn and tavern.

2: Dangerous Scorn
==================

Add a few "dungeons" and generally threatening areas, so that people
who already play Crossfire can find something to do :-)

3: Amenities
============

Civic buildings, shops, temples, apartments, castle.

4: Super-quest
==============

Before we get to this point we should have an agreement on things like
world persistence and large changes to gameplay.

This milestone consists on a number of maps, NPCs, and backstory woven
in a large over-arching quest, Pupland-style.  It's not really
discrete; this will take a long time, and may start during or even
before 3, and continue through other milestones, ending much later, if
ever ;-)

Maps from 1.x should be re-used/adapted as much as possible.

5: Magic-user stuff
===================

Introduce the magic-using classes and skills, make sure it all
balances out, add magic shops, equipment, maybe magic-oriented
dungeons.

6: Priestly stuff
=================

Introduce the priestly classes, prayers, equipment, "branch" cults,
make sure it all balances out.

7: Tutorial
===========

A collection of low-level quests or mini-quests that teach the basics
of the game, branching at appropriate points for class, and eventually
chaining into the super-quest.

8: The next kingdom
===================

Repeat steps 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 7 and 8 for the next kingdom.

Guidelines
==========

The motto: believability.

The two kinds of quest/activity: getting on with life (like, keeping
the city safe, procuring food, pleasing your god(s), etc) and the big
picture (fighting cultists, acquiring better weapons...).

The three pillars of believability: internal consistency, depth, and
detail.

The four basic kinds of player: gamer, H&Ser, explorer, RPer; qualify
that some players in all kinds will be more interested in the social
aspect, but that's more a spectrum than a division.

The five primary kinds of character: basher, magic-user, priest, rogue
(thief, assassin, pirate), worker (producer, artificer, trader).

best,
                                               Lalo Martins
                           -----
                  http://lalomartins.info/