[crossfire] Player accounts, new player creation mechanism

Kevin R. Bulgrien kbulgrien at worldnet.att.net
Mon Feb 4 01:44:43 CST 2008

> > When connecting to a server, a player can create or log in to an account.
> > This account is linked to characters, and the player can manage (add,
> > delete, maybe other things) them.
>
>   this is a step that is not there right now - I'd like a little more
> information on why to add an account that is linked to characters instead
> of just having the current method.

I think you partly answer your own question below, however, you might note
comments about password management in my other reply, but I'll restate and
reword the thoughts here in case it clarifies the point.

I have many times thought how unfortunate that it is easy to use duplicate
passwords from one server to another because each character needs a
password... so, it is easy out of habit from typing a password on one
server, to accidentally use it on another one.  I don't know about you, but
I don't trust admins on other people's servers.  Consider especially cases
where a server admin might be hostile for whatever reason.  An admin should
not be easily able to discern what someones password might be on another
server.  Naturally, you cannot protect a player from their own stupidity
regarding intentional re-use of passwords, but I do think that lowering the
risk of accidental re-use of a password is responsible design and indeed
worth considering on that merit alone.