[crossfire] Player accounts, new player creation mechanism

David Delbecq tchize at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 08:32:40 CST 2008

En l'instant précis du 04/02/08 08:44, Kevin R. Bulgrien s'exprimait en
ces termes:
>>> When connecting to a server, a player can create or log in to an account.
>>> This account is linked to characters, and the player can manage (add,
>>> delete, maybe other things) them.
>>>
>>   this is a step that is not there right now - I'd like a little more
>> information on why to add an account that is linked to characters instead
>> of just having the current method.
>>

> I think you partly answer your own question below, however, you might note
> comments about password management in my other reply, but I'll restate and
> reword the thoughts here in case it clarifies the point.
>
> I have many times thought how unfortunate that it is easy to use duplicate
> passwords from one server to another because each character needs a
> password... so, it is easy out of habit from typing a password on one
> server, to accidentally use it on another one.  I don't know about you, but
> I don't trust admins on other people's servers.  Consider especially cases

Sorry to ask, but what in current state of accounts handling prevents
your from using different passwords on different servers? Nothing forces
you to use same password on different server, and you can use same
password for all your accounts on a given server...

Now, a really interresting point in having a notion of accounts, is that
it opens a wide range of new possibilities :)

1) Get an idea of how much actual player there is, instead of how much
characters
2) Exchange of items between characters of same player? (Some commercial
MMorpg allow this). Not that it would be impossible now ;)
3) A common interface to manage all your characters (delete them, get
their stats, whatever)
4) Retrieve password interface (send token by email?)

On the other end, there are more important things to do for players than
an "account", it will be better for players to have a simple interface
to fully design their new character prior to any acocunt management
interface. There is already a wiki brainstorming page for this.