[crossfire] Player accounts, new player creation mechanism

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon Feb 4 23:53:11 CST 2008

  There are certainly some advantages to an account based system, including
potentially easier banning of players.  But several points need
addressing/clarification:

1) How are accounts created?  If a player can create an account at any time, and
thus have a 1:1 account:character mapping, knowing number of unique players,
etc, may be difficult.  To make this happen, may want some greater benefit for
the characters in such a system (item trading, maybe apartments/houses are
account based, not character based, etc).

2) Need to handle player files without accounts.  If a player logs in with one
of those characters, are they forced to create an account?  Is account name
space different than character namespace?  For example, if I use the name 'Mark'
for my account, does that now prohibit characters from using that name?

3) In terms of security, one could argue accounts may make things worse.  Right
now if I play on a 'suspect' server and that server admin looks at my character
and gets my password, that may only let him log into 1 character on another
server (or at least he only has information on that one character on that server
- he would need other mechanisms to find out all the character names I play on
the other servers).

  However, if he gets access to my account, he now has access to all my characters.

  And I think the point tchize raised using different password on different
servers is valid - is it really any more likely I'll use different passwords for
different accounts on different servers?  If I know my account on ailesse has
password foobar, and account on metalforge is kumquat, it would seem I could
remember that for individual player files just as easily.

  If security is a concern, other things should be investigated - right now,
password from client to server are plaintext (allowing easy snooping) - it was
decided long ago that character files are not critical enough to warrant the
complexity of doing something like ssl.

  That said, I'm not against the idea of accounts - it could be useful.  But
like fair number, I'd need to see some compelling reasons of how it would be
useful and why it is more important than many other things (but like everything,
if some developer is gung ho on doing it, who am I to stop them).  But at the
same time, I think some of the points about account creation and legacy
character files need to be answered.