[crossfire] Player accounts, new player creation mechanism

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Wed Feb 6 16:56:30 CST 2008

Hello.

Replying to various points in one mail :)

Benefits I see to account system:
* easier for player to manage characters
* easier for players to remember other's identities (one account vs multiple
chars - assuming account named is for instance displayed in the 'who' output)
* maybe character exchange
* why not some benefit from dead chars on perma death servers?

Agreed on class information chosen at the same time, makes sense.

I'd see a transition period: at first "old" clients could create characters
without accounts. Newer clients could create account and link characters to
it (create account 'Nicolas', and tell the server the 'Warrior' character is
linked to this account). Then remove players without account. Client could
make some shortcut and propose to create account + player at the same time
for "lazy" players.

I see the account as a better way to count players - best case all players use
an account, so we know how many there are ; worse case, one account per
character, same situation as now.

Yes, server will always check what client sends - basics of our protocol
anyway.

Concerning Mark's last point: obviously, player will choose 'login' or 'new
char' on client which will send the right command - wrong password implies
failure to log, not new char creation.

I hope I addressed all points :)

Nicolas
--