[crossfire] Plan to commit combat changes to trunk

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Thu Jan 3 02:01:24 CST 2008

>   I've been playing with the rebalance of melee combat for crossfire for a
> while, and while not 100% done, I think it is complete enough to warrant
> committing it to the trunk and hopefully getting more exposure.
>
>   Now for folks running trunk servers, while the change will not cause
> anything to actually break (or it shouldn't), it will cause a change in
> game play, so folks may find combat tougher.

Gonna be hard on permadeath servers :)

>   I have also limited the generators, via arch change, to only generate 5
> monsters before the generator dies.  I'm sure some maps need updating -
> that 5 monster limit is actually a pretty good compromise - it tends to
> fill up those empty dungeons that rely on generators to fill them up, but
> also keeps monsters at a reasonable level.

That's a major change, though. Many maps, especially some training centers or
Gorokh's final map, actually rely on illimited generators. So maybe that
should not be committed for now, or made optional for map designers to
decide.

>   I could do all this work in a branch - I'm just don't think that is
> really worthwhile - the main point of the trunk is to work on the big
> projects like this.  I'd say that where things are now, it has moved beyond
> expiremental code to code that will be used, but some more work is still
> needed.  I'll start another thread about future changes for balancing.  But
> I'm willing to discuss, and for folks to see this as a heads up if you are
> running a trunk server.

Agreed, trunk is for big changes...

Nicolas
--