[crossfire] Plan to commit combat changes to trunk

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Fri Jan 4 00:32:26 CST 2008

Nicolas Weeger wrote:
>>   I've been playing with the rebalance of melee combat for crossfire for a
>> while, and while not 100% done, I think it is complete enough to warrant
>> committing it to the trunk and hopefully getting more exposure.
>>
>>   Now for folks running trunk servers, while the change will not cause
>> anything to actually break (or it shouldn't), it will cause a change in
>> game play, so folks may find combat tougher.
>
> Gonna be hard on permadeath servers :)

  Hence the warning.  May not be a bad idea for server admins to make a backup
of the player files, just in case.

>>   I have also limited the generators, via arch change, to only generate 5
>> monsters before the generator dies.  I'm sure some maps need updating -
>> that 5 monster limit is actually a pretty good compromise - it tends to
>> fill up those empty dungeons that rely on generators to fill them up, but
>> also keeps monsters at a reasonable level.
>
> That's a major change, though. Many maps, especially some training centers or
> Gorokh's final map, actually rely on illimited generators. So maybe that
> should not be committed for now, or made optional for map designers to
> decide.

  So maps themselves can always override it.  This is just the basic archetype
property.

  Now folks could use the old archetypes, disable that section of code, etc.
However, I think the better answer is to run with the new archetypes, see what
is broken (or needs to be adjusted) and fix it.  That needs to get done sooner
or later, so may as well do it sooner.