[crossfire] Potions of Life

Alex Schultz agschult at ucalgary.ca
Fri Jan 18 16:21:15 CST 2008

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 15:09:09 -0600
Rick Tanner <leaf at real-time.com> wrote:

> > In order to deal with this, I'm planning to soon re-balance potions
> > of life by adjusting their costs, level limits, and how often
> > different ones appear in treasure lists. I'm thinking of making the
> > level limits as follows:
> > up to 20, up to 40, up to 105, and then unlimited
>
> I think there should be more of a level breakdown for the potions.
> Otherwise, I suspect, people in the 'teens levels will be cleaning out
> the newbie areas for the easy potions.
>
> I would propose something like this:
>
> Up to level 10, level 11-20, 21-40, 41-80, level 100+

Well, now you list 5 level groupings, not 4 as currently exists. Just
to double check, was this an error or do you mean to suggest having 5
level groupings would be preferred? :)
Currently we have:
-minor potion of life
-medium potion of life
-major potion of life
-supreme potion of life
If we have another, where would be a good place to put it in the ranks?
Perhaps "superior potion of life" just below supreme?

Another thought is, perhaps left clicking a potion of life, should tell
the player what level it's effective up to?

> > With pricing in shops along the following lines:
> > 5pp, 40pp, 300pp, and then the last only being obtainable from
> > alchemy and treasure.
>
> I think that pricing looks reasonable.
>
> Assuming the level breakdown I mentioned earlier, pricing like this:
>
> 5pp, 25pp, 625pp, 1000pp
>
> Okay, maybe not that sharp of an increase - it just seems that if
> there is a pattern or explanation for pricing structure, there is less
> confusion by players.

That pattern also seems fairly reasonable to me presuming that level
breakdown.

Alex Schultz