[crossfire] Reminder: Release 1.11 forthcoming (On GTK V2 Client )

Kevin R. Bulgrien kbulgrien at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jan 23 22:50:42 CST 2008

> Branch GTK V2 is not a people's client and picks no bones about saying
> so in the README.  I think that not releasing the improvements would be
> a travesty.  I did the work to put GTK V2 into people's hands who would
> not previously consider it - myself included. I've decided to jump over
> and make it what it should be rather than just complain about it.
>
> >   As an aside, has the rpmspec been updated for the libglade changes?  Do
> > we care about RPM's?
>
> No, I don't recall seeing an rpmspec in the client, but now that you ask,
> I see it.  I'll look into updating it.

Ok, granted, the above is a bit overstated, but I still feel that to keep
this client on trunk for another year is not really good for Crossfire,
especially when you consider the distribution lag that occurs since they
do not pick up new packages for a while.  Some distributions will be
picking up new packages within 6 months or so.  We really need to
have an upgraded client out as soon as we can.  I really do not see
the GTK-V2 as released as helping the user base much.  Maybe nobody
cares with jxclient up and coming... but I think this client still has
a place in the lineup.

I started working on the packaging tonight.  In the process I stumbled on
the man pages, etc... I guess I see some linkages between the three clients
here that I had not taken into consideration before.  I don't think that has
to preclude a release for this client, but it does actually shine some light
on a change that went down to branch that I should fix up regarding the image
cache directory.  It would be awkward to release those clients when they do
not all use the same directory.  That's my bad.

Also, the packaging for trunk has name changes (albeit not fully converted)
for the binaries, man pages, etc., so I guess it will take a bit more work
to pull it down to branch than I initially thought.  I suppose if the release
is impending, that this work will just be annoying to the releaser.

I'll live with it not going in this time around if it needs to be that way,
but it makes me not feel so good.  I guess I can spend the time putting
some polish on the packaging in the mean time.

On the other hand, if there is desire to work this in... I'd still appreciate
the consideration.

Kevin Bulgrien