[crossfire] Importing the GTK+ editor in SVN

Kevin R. Bulgrien kbulgrien at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jul 17 00:45:43 CDT 2008

> Hi,
>
> I would like to contribute several improvements to the GTK+ editor
> "gcrossedit" (a.k.a. "gce", now "gde").

Whereas the issue of having parallel clients is to me not a problem,
there seems some greater advantage to have a unified editor, but, so
long as both are maintained at a high degree of compatibility with
the server, I see no reason not to accept CF "friendly" projects
where there is a party interested in maintaining it.  There seems
little point to me to murmur about diluting efforts.  People will
always work on what interests them, and not necessarily what someone
else wants them to work on.

Though my CF development time has dried up at the moment, I'd have
more inclination to work on a non-Java editor due to where skills
lay - not that I particularly have a problem with Java save that it
would be a new learning curve when one has already climbed much of
steeper parts of the C/GTK curve.  And, in real life, I use C, but
Java as yet has not entered my particular work environment, and I
prefer to leverage hobby/work cross-pollenation.  Also noted that
getting the tool chain configured to build Gridarta and JXClient
was an ordeal I would not wish on anyone.  For the experienced
Javanator, I am sure it would not be, but we aren't all in that
camp. Besides a client uses GTK and uses a tool chain that is
common with this editor, and whatever one feels about perl, it is
still a broadly used tool.  In all, pulling a hard line on having
only one editor is not something I want to do.

> If there are no objections against this plan, I would like to import
> the code in SVN as soon as possible.

None here, though a nod is given to some of the arguments against.