[crossfire] GTK V2 Client (libglade) Release

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Thu Jul 17 23:34:05 CDT 2008

Kevin R. Bulgrien wrote:
> Speaking of releases...  It sure would be nice to see the libglade client
> packaged up after spending all that time working on it and debugging it.
> The original GTK V2 client was released far sooner and buggier.  Another
> two cents that's not worth much in a free project, is that a client
> release would be a heck of a lot easier and faster than rebalancing,
> albeit not as much fun for the releaser.

  Since (except for the window binaries), I seem to the be sole releaser, on my
wishlist would be more people willing to make releases.

  That said, it probably is about time for another 1.x release, even though not
a huge amount of stuff has changed, but just to get it out there.  And putting
out a 2.x client is probably reasonable.

  Save for having other people do releases, next on my wish list would be for
people to periodically try the release process (make archive from the top level
dir - same place you run configure).  If everything 'works', doing a release
isn't that time consuming.

  But often, things don't work, and it then takes a considerable amount of time
to track down the problems.  Most common is new files getting added to SVN, but
not the actual makefiles (things like header files, but could also be config files).