[crossfire] Resistance calculation

Jochen Suckfüll crossfire at suckfuell.net
Thu May 22 17:40:53 CDT 2008

Jochen Suckfüll <crossfire at suckfuell.net> wrote:

> > > The current resistance calculation is implemented in
> > > common/living.c:fix_object(). I would volunteer to make the
> > > required changes to the trunk version (2.0) if there is a common
> > > agreement.
> >
> >   What you may want to try is put your no formula in, but do it with
> > #ifdef NEW_RESISTANCE or something.  That provides an easy way for
> > people to expirement with it and see the impact.  One of the things
> > I learned with combat rebalancing is that it was often to just try
> > something out and see what impact it is, vs try to speculate how
> > things will get affected.
> >

> Good idea, I will see how it works out.

The tests on my local server turned out quite well. The potion
resistance is now calculated in as any other item resistance.
Therefore I have reduced their strength somewhat. This makes them
still useful, but without any supportive protection you don't want to
go for high level monsters.

I have submitted a patch including unit test, and documentation and
activation in config.h on sf.net, see patch request ID 1969974.

The patch can also be downloaded at:
http://suckfuell.net/crossfire/resistance.patch

Please include that patch on the trunk (though it should work on the
1.11 branch as well), so others can test the change. I'd appreciate any
volunteer testers and comments.

Jochen