[crossfire] Things to fix

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Thu May 29 15:37:38 CDT 2008

Hello.

Here are some things that need fixing IMO. I intend to start some, but I can't
do everything alone :)

The game is missing lore. Some is on the wiki, but not much is integrated in
the game itself. Also, many many maps are missing hints relative to their
location or purpose (warrior tower, ...).

So we need people to first incorporate the existing lore, then add missing
one, into a coherent thing, then add hints to various places or things.
Ideally, *all* houses and maps could have a whole story (ok, not a whole quest
maybe, but some background).

Lore should be in various forms, all more or less "right" according to
the "real" story (eg same story from various point of view, various
versions, ...).

I'd like to expand towns to let's say 5 times their current size. This would
enable even more things, and make the scale better IMO.
Ideally, the world itself could be much expanded.

I'm not sure of the best way to put lore ingame. Currently we have books
(random things), NPCs. I added some professors in Navar university, one can
tell you a long story about Lorkas if you ask.
Things to take into account, IMO, are: one NPC shouldn't know everything of
the world, or maybe even all the details of one thing. On the other hand, it
can be weird to have exactly all the people you need to learn things...

Opinions on how to present lore or on those issues?

The combat rebalance needs to be finished. Mark, how can we help you on that?
Also, do people have comments about the current hand to hand combat rebalance?
Can be seen on the Ailesse servers (one permadeath, the other non
permadeath).
What about general item/monster fixing/balance?

IMO, the best way to progress is "game experience-driven development": develop
things because they add stuff to the general ingame atmosphere, not for the
sake of it "because it's cool". In the same way, we should avoid the "not
invented here" syndrom and try to use existing libraries when they exist.

Concerning bugs, IMO the most critical are:
-
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1967585&group_id=13833&atid=113833
(unique items on world maps deleted)
-
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1936178&group_id=13833&atid=113833
trying to remove removed object causes server crash (tentatively fixed)

Others are less critical, and considering our development force for now, they
can wait.

Ideally, we'd have a "chief mapmaker", a "chief lore", a "chief monster",
a "chief combat balance", whatever, so *someone* can decide various points
when there is no consensus.

Nicolas
--
http://nicolas.weeger.org [Petit site d'images, de textes, de code, bref de