[crossfire] Seeking life...

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Thu Nov 6 00:12:58 CST 2008

Nicolas Weeger wrote:
> To sum up a discussion on the channel this morning:
>
> - there is no common goal, so everyone is doing his own stuff
> - there is no leadership who could define areas
>
> solutions:
> - define a common goal => need some leaders
> - enforce content rules (reject maps that don't integrate into the timeline /
> overall story)

  The harder part is perhaps that first one - finding leaders.

  I know I'm the current maintainer of crossfire, but when I took that job way
back when, I had a lot more time on my hands than I do now.

  And to be honest, the administrative aspect is one of the less interesting
aspects of all of this.

  Given the number of current developers, the number of leaders needed probably
isn't that great.  If we had 100 developers, you'd clearly want multiple leaders
handling different aspects (as that 100 people would be working on different
parts most likely - even if everyone was doing maps, it would be different
areas, so you could have the person in charge of scorn, person in charge of
navar city area, etc).

  I'd actually say that the common goal(s) could likely be sorted out in e-mail
or on IRC - that perhaps isn't so much a job for the leader.  The leader is more
on the second point - to make sure that contributions don't conflict with the goal.