[crossfire] Seeking life...

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Sat Nov 8 04:45:01 CST 2008

Hello.

>   The harder part is perhaps that first one - finding leaders.

I wouldn't mind being coding leader, but then right now the conditions aren't
really met.
Code is here to be used for the game, it is not the game. Therefore, if there
is nothing going on game-wise, then it's no use having a "living" code.

I do admit liking coding, which is sometimes more important for me than
content, unfortunately.

Therefore we'd need a good game content leader who can make the game really
fun and drive development needs.

I mean by "content leader" someone who can point out needs to be filled
(missing a town linked to such and such story), accept or reject (saying why
it is rejected) content submissions, who takes into account the whole
coherence of the world and the background story, and such.

And lately since there is no new content, no need to drive the development,
nothing really going on, coding for CF has become some really uninteresting
idea (and I admit the code is starting to be quite messy which is not
helping, either).

For the record here is what I'd like to do technically-wise:
- stable server, few bugs (obvious, and not that far a goal right now)
- distributed server, crash-recovery systems: server crashes, clients
dynamically or transparently switch to another and go on playing maybe
without even noticing - at least with minimal loss
- dynamic updating of resources - no need to recollect archetypes to take into
account an archetype change, or a pic change
- regular releases (anyone remembers when the last one was?), as long as there
is justification for that and in coordination with content leader

And to achieve this:
- well documented code, potentially linked to game features (monks shouldn't
be able to wear weapons: how is it managed in the code, at which places? and
such things)
- unit tests where applicable
- automate many things (win32 building and packaging, ...)
- split the code to make it less messy. Do small atomic tasks, and chain them,
instead of having one big code mess that does a zillion things and can't be
easily replaced
- move to C++, use Trolltech's Qt toolkit, and make a massive code refactoring

(note: please don't start discussing those last points / how I'd like to do
things, this is not the thread for such a discussion that I will happily
ignore anyway)

Nicolas
--
http://nicolas.weeger.org [Petit site d'images, de textes, de code, bref de