[crossfire] C++/Qt server version

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Mon Nov 24 09:19:04 CST 2008

> I have seen C++ messes that I would hate to see in CF, but then it is well
> known that you see current CF code as a mess in itself, so perhaps it has
> potential for cleaning up the code...

Well, that is one of the points of the rewrite I'm proposing, indeed...

> I depend on trunk not being broken so that I can test and develop things on
> trunk.  I no longer have interest in working on branch.  I play only 2.x
> servers.  I do not want trunk broken (for long periods) as that will only
> be a detriment to play testing and developing what is on trunk now.  This
> is how I work on content - a topic on which you are most vociferous.

Yes, I'm vociferous on content.
It seems lately some moves are made in this field, so I'm trying to prepare
the (bright !) future for the ambitious content people are thinking of :)
(something that current CF code doesn't always enable us to write easily,
IMO).
But the (partial/full/total/global/[insert word]) rewrite I'm talking about is
not immediately, it's in some months, after some design work and such.

From the various points on this list, I think I'll work on a separate branch,
so it's easier to work on content.
(and as you I try to not work on branch/1.x anymore)

> While I recognize branching is a pain at times from my libglade effort in
> the client, it is my preference if I read your intentions correctly - it
> sounds basically like a huge rewrite.  Whether the branch be of the whole
> project or only portions that will be broken for some time is not really a
> concern.

Yup.

Nicolas
--