[crossfire] C++/Qt server version

Kevin R. Bulgrien kbulgrien at worldnet.att.net
Mon Nov 17 18:56:05 CST 2008

> > So two options:
> > - I work directly on trunk - my preferred option, considering it's
> > "unstable" since some years, and doesn't seem to be soon stable, not much
> > work going on it
>
> I depend on trunk not being broken so that I can test and develop things on
> trunk.  I no longer have interest in working on branch.  I play only 2.x
> servers.  I do not want trunk broken (for long periods) as that will only
> be a detriment to play testing and developing what is on trunk now.  This
> is how I work on content - a topic on which you are most vociferous.
>
> > - I make a branch and work there - and if needed / when we want we merge
> > to trunk
>
> While I recognize branching is a pain at times from my libglade effort in
> the client, it is my preference if I read your intentions correctly - it
> sounds basically like a huge rewrite.  Whether the branch be of the whole
> project or only portions that will be broken for some time is not really a
> concern.
>
> > Opinions?

I guess a better way to say it is similar to Lalo's reply.  It would not be
that big of a deal if the rewrite left the present 2.x operational in some
way... so branching what is now 2.x could be viable to reduce the pain of
working a total rewrite without sacrificing the ability to advance 2.x in
case the rewrite takes a long time to get functional.

Kevin