[crossfire] C++/Qt server version

Lalo Martins lalo.martins at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 12:31:12 CST 2008

quoth Lauwenmark Akkendrittae as of Wed, 26 Nov 2008 17:18:45 +0100:
>> Also, here's something I forgot before: would use Qt imply using
>> Trolltech's bastard C++ dialect, and MOC?
>>
> There we hit your real issue, don't we? Short answer: yes, you have to
> use MOC, and yes, it implies using its language extensions. I see no
> point in commenting the "bastard" qualifier here - I care about the
> efficiency of a dialect, not about its possibly illegitimate origins.

Sorry, but I do care about its illegitimate origins, for the same reason
that I care about future versions of C++.  This project will probably
take at least an year, more realistically three or four, to complete; it
would be silly if in five years, or ten, it was already difficult to
maintain due to tool/language obsolescence.

>> Or is that already dead and outdated?
>>
> This simple question tends to demonstrate your quite superficial
> knowledge of Qt, else you wouldn't even have asked. Maybe you should
> evaluate both libraries before actually placing a judgement of their
> respective qualities/flaws ?

No, the word is not superficial, but outdated.  I gave up on Qt years ago
and haven't checked again (before even Qt3), one of the reasons being
MOC.  And I assumed there was a chance it would be gone by now, since IMO
an idea so clearly idiotic as language extensions and pre-compiling
couldn't stay around for too long in a library used by so many people.

Apparently, I was wrong.  Oh well.

I'm now strongly opposed to using Qt.  Strongly opposed as in: if Qt is
chosen, I'll stop contributing, because I don't want to learn it.  And
I'll probably end up forking as well, if the uses I have in mind for the
server require code changes.

best,
                                               Lalo Martins
                           -----