[crossfire] clients

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sun Apr 5 23:20:51 CDT 2009

Klaus Elsbernd wrote:
> Well, one cent from an old user:
> lalo.martins at gmail.com said:
>> This brings the usual question :-) any objections if we nuke x11 and gtk
>> from the tree for trunk (and 1.13)?
> I would like to remark, that there are more than windows systems out
> there. For example simple traditional old-style unix-systems,
> like my plain Solaris system for example.
> And I would prefer, if running plain X11 would be possible. X11 is by far the
> fastest interface.
> (If you nuke gtk, go ahead, there is now gtk-v2)

  Note that the X11 (and perhaps even gtk v1 client) are largely unmaintained
and not getting updated.

  For the most part, this doesn't create much problem, because the protocol
handing is done in the common area.

  But if/when a feature is added that really requires smart client support, X11
client is probably out of luck at that point

  Doing any type of interface work for the X11 client is difficult - this is why
the gtk client has a spell window, etc - so while the X11 client may be fastest,
it is probably also the most minimal of the bunch.