[crossfire] What to find in towns, what to find in the countryside

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon Dec 7 23:04:21 CST 2009

Otto J. Makela wrote:
> Nicolas Weeger wrote:
>>> Well, Scorn also has an explanation on why neglected houses have monsters
>>> in them: the situation with Old Town.
>> Talking about that quest, would anyone have a description? That is what items
>> one can find, clues there are, and so on?
>> :)
>
> Sorry, my mistake, "Old City".
>
> I played it through for the most part last night (kinda hard to tell, as it
> is a quite large adventure). Different clues are spread around the city, but
> the general idea is that you have to make your way through the monster-
> infested under-city areas, find three artifacts (crown, cup and dagger),
> bring them to the old underground temple where they will open a route to
> the underworld, where you can block the hell-hole through which the monsters
> infesting the Old City have been coming through.
>
> I don't think there actually are items to be gained on this one, as the three
> artifacts are destroyed in the process. General treasure abounds, though.
> Suitable for adventurers level 20+, I'd say.

  I haven't played it for a while, but one thing I recall is that the level
range is pretty broad.

  Some of the undercity maps are suitable for low level characters (less than
5), while others are much tougher, with things like wyverns.  So I'd probably
say the level range is 0-20, but it really depends on what area you are in.

  One problem perhaps is that there is not enough exp to be gained here to start
at say level 5 (easier area) and work your way through, to the point where at
the end you are sufficient exp to complete it.  If you start at high enough
level to complete it, you may find some areas too easy.  If you start at a level
where the area is a challenge, you may find you can't complete it, and need to
go adventuring elsewhere to get sufficient exp.