[crossfire] [Rebootworld] Priests and prayers and cults

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Thu Jan 1 22:54:33 CST 2009

Juha Jäykkä wrote:
>> 4) could also have competing quests.  Maybe half a dozen different folks
>> want the goblin king killed.  Player has to decide which one he really goes
>> for (an example here could be that basically all the different classes
>> (skills) want him killed and give some form of exp reward or maybe
>> something different.  In this way, every class can get something from it -
>> do you want that fighter experience of praying experience.  Sort of
>> counters the problem I mentioned above with only healers having quests for
>> exp.  This also helps out the problem where in a sense, you don't have to
>> write as many quests - a bunch of quests could use the same maps.
>
> This sounds excellent. There is a big problem in 1.x giving mainly weapons as
> quest rewards. The above would both help that AND help keeping map-making
> work at a sane level. There should be some way of handling parties, though,
> in this case. And also perhaps a way to prevent the magic-using class from
> getting the basher reward. Perhaps most quests would be given out by
> guilds/kings/temples/<insert_your_favourite> and they might not accept you
> since you "are too low in bashing level/have too little reputation/are of
> wrong religion/pick your favourite again".

  There are diffferent ways to handle this.  Even right now, most of the quests
don't work very well because they require some form of proof (body part) of
which there is one of, or they let the party into a common treasure room where
the party has to divide the loot.

  Recording everyone 'near' the boss creature when it was killed as a force
object could easily enough be done.  Sure there are some ways to abuse this, but
we can't 100% eliminate those, and more have to focus on making things fun than
trying to solve all potential abuses.

  When you go get the reward, it checks to make sure you have appropriate force
to indicate you where there when creature was killed, gives you the reward,
removes that force and adds a new one that denotes quest completed or the like
(to prevent repeating it for all the other rewards)

  If a magic user wants to get the basher reward, maybe not a problem.  That
said, just as the scorn nobility quest is a chain quest (you have to do them in
order), same could basically be true for these class based quests.  If you've
done the first 4 as a wizard, and try to get the fighter reward for the fifth
one, they might say 'who the hell are you?' type of thing.

  Or maybe base it on skill level.  The fighter guild may not care about order
of quests, but they are not going to give out some good item to some newbie
fighter, even if the character has lots of exp.  However, if the character has
10 levels of a fighter type skill, that may be considered good enough for them
to give the reward.