[crossfire] What about a gameplay revolution?

Juha Jäykkä juhaj at iki.fi
Fri Jan 9 01:59:29 CST 2009

>   Following previous discussion about highest skill level determining hit
> points, one could refine it further such that highest skill level of those
> associated skills determines hit points.

That sounds good. This would certainly deter too many class-defections. I
still think that something else besides hit points must also be tied to this
skill level, but I'm not sure what. Perhaps the types of quest rewards you're
given could be one. And item_power could be checked against this level, too.

>   But I'm also sort of inclined that not all classes should necessarily
> have all skills available (or even most).

So I've noticed. =) And I disagree, but that's a matter of taste. It'll
eventually be up to Lalo I think. I'm happy with both, but I'm happier with
freely learnable skills. Even the system you proposed later, which dumps the
classes alltogether and simply has skills.

>   Some skills are ones that I'd say are not as adventure related (item
> creation skills, etc), and so sure, everyone can have those.

Yes. And a way of getting decent xp in them too. Perhaps there could be three
types of skills: primary and secondary class -based skills and a third set of
general-purpose skills. The class-skills are those that gain XP by killing
monsters and completing quests and they either can or cannot be learned by
everyone and the third set has a different xp table and all, for creating
rings, arrows, scrolls, even mining and fishing if we come to that.

There are a lot of different ways to handle class-skills. At least the
following come to mind:

1) Primary skills cannot be learned, secondary can

2) Both can be learned, but your class-primaries need less XP to advance

3) Your class-primary must always be at least 2x your highest secondary level
(perhaps you'd change classes otherwise?), but they are both learnable

4) They are both free to learn, you just have the primary initially

There are also some mixes of the four that can be quite ok, too, like take
both 2) and 3) and you have pretty heavy punishment for fighting wizards.

-Juha

		| Juha Jäykkä, juolja at utu.fi			|
		| home: http://www.utu.fi/~juolja/		|