[crossfire] Release 1.12

Kevin Bulgrien kbulgrien at att.net
Thu Jan 8 06:37:55 CST 2009

> > Can you make a list, either here or the wiki, of known points where 1.12
> > would break backwards compatibility?  I don't mind required that content
> > is updated in step, but breaking character compatibility I'd prefer not
> > to (last time that happened people were pretty mad, and with 2.0 in the
> > horizon... no need to aggravate people too much.)
>
> Actually, let me rephrase that :-)
>
> Under the premise that current trunk arches and maps will be a 1.12
> content release, I already expressed that I'd like those tested.
>
> I'm now saying that any changes in trunk maps or arches that make 1.11
> characters unusable, with the exception of Mark's rebalance (which we
> don't know yet if we'll include in 1.12), are to be considered bugs and
> reported accordingly.  (Of course, the "fix" will be simply to not merge
> those changes.)  Anyone who knows about them can report them here, or on
> the tracker, or the wiki.
>
> Content changes that require trunk code are another matter.  I'd like to
> have a list of those if someone who knows about it has the time to
> compile it; but it's unclear whether these are bugs, until the code
> leader decides about a 1.12 code release.

Content changes include various maps that use cfdialog.py/npc_dialog.py.
Of special note, the mork/gork quest is no longer able to be done by simply
knowing the right words (the character has to perform the in-game conversation
that tells them the things they need to do).  Other maps would include
newbiehouse, and a variety of maps associated with the witherspoon manner
ghost-body hunt.  I think that might be it... but I do have some content that
is npc_dialog.py based that is under development, and intended for addition
to trunk.

Since cfdialog/npc_dialog.py make it possible for a mapmaker to create (mini)
quests using stored flags in the player file.  Its not particularly nice that
the status of the quests is not checkable, nor that it is easy to write them
stupidly, but... it was a dramatic improvement on what branch had via the
match system.

Kevin