[crossfire] Leaderships(s?) (was Re: Platform statement)

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Thu Jan 15 00:53:34 CST 2009

Hmm - I seemed to have not received some of the messages in the thread, but my
two cents (take it how you will)

Most all of the leadership roles have a fair amount of overlap and cooperation
needed, and all that gets tricky.

If we define this as the various roles:
content leader (maps, archetypes, images)
server code (new features, bug fixes, improved performance)
client (new features, etc) - note probably have 1 leader/client
editor (new features, etc) - we really only have 1 editor, but if we had more,
    probably would have 1 leader per editor
gameplay leader (how fast is combat, how does item X work, etc)

(as a note, just because there are those different roles does not require that
each one be a unique person - one person may have different roles)

Pretty much all of those need to work together at some level - if the content
leader decides there are some changes to the archetypes, then cooperation of the
server person and the editor is likely needed.

And that is true for lots of other things - we could say 'the new one to create
characters is to offload a lot of work to the client' - server folks are willing
to make changes to do that.  But unless the client folks are also willing to do
so, that perhaps doesn't go anyplace.

Now one hopes that things like that don't happen.  But I can certainly see many
cases where one leader wants something done, but it falls into another area and
that other leader doesn't see it as a priority to them (they're working on
something else or maybe just don't see much value, etc).

Gameplay is a vague definition in this form - there isn't any actual area (like
maps, server, client) that such a person is responsible for.  I'd also note that
many different areas could have huge affects on gameplay without need of changes
in other areas (the melee combat rebalance I did was almost all content
(archetypes), and a minor amount of code).

  Instead of that gameplay leader role, I'd suggest that instead an overall
leader role should be in place instead.  This person is in charge of resolving
disputes (final word) when they arise.  Such a role is definitely needed,
because I think disputes will arise.

  Now hopefully, not many disputes will arise - most folks will agree on things
happen.

  I'd also say that most gameplay decisions would fall to the content leader -
simply on the basis that the content is going to have most of the effect on
gameplay - simply by adjusting attributes of archetypes has big impacts on gameplay.

  One advantage I see with those leadership roles is each person has an area of
the SVN tree that are in charge of - to me this makes sense.  You can't have 2
folks in charge of the same area - that just doesn't work.  The person in charge
of that area gets to make final decision on patches/changes to that area, with
the exception of things that hit multiple areas.

  The person in charge of maps is clearly the best person to make the call on if
a map is appropriate.  And since that person is also in charge of archetypes,
they are the best person to decide on appropriate rewards.

  Patches/changes that hit multiple areas are the exception.  In the case that
all parties involved to accept or reject the change (unanimous opinion), that is
very simple.  The complicated case is when one person likes it, and another
person doesn't.  If an agreement can't be reached, then it goes to the overall
leaderd to make the call.

  I'm willing to continue my role as overall leader - in the model described
above, such a role is more resolving dispute and not so much spending lots of
time actually making changes (finding time/energy to read/respond to e-mail is
often easier than time to make changes to code, archetypes, etc)