[crossfire] Feature proposition: [img] tag

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Thu Nov 19 12:48:40 CST 2009

Hello.

>   Off the top of the head, I could imagine some quick cases, like:
> - Book containing information about a monster, and containing a picture of
> that monster
> - Same for other objects (more likely artifacts or unique rare stuff).
> However, from a tutorial perspective, displaying the different objects
> inline would make things much clearer, eg 'pull the lever [img=lever] to
> open the gate' type of thing - Last case could be maps of the area - in
> this case, it could just be images used from the editor and shrunk down to
> a smaller initial size.
>
>   However, in all cases, some hint about resizing may be needed.  For
> example, if a player is playing with a low resolution setup and has done
> something like -mapscale 50, probably any objects you are talking about
> that are map related should be similarly scaled.  I'm not 100% sure on
> that.  For large images (map areas), the client would likely need to scale
> down if it is too wide to fit in the message window (height isn't as much a
> problem, as at least you can scroll the window up/down).
>
>   I'm presuming this will do inlining, and not pop up the image, but I
> suppose it depends on usage - one could envision maps perhaps being popped
> up since they are fairly standalone, but in the tutorial example, you
> probably don't want that popping up.

Well, I was thinking of popup images, big ones, with maps or zoomed items.
But regular pics inline would work too.

So maybe it should be [img] and [popup] at the same time? :)

> > Not opposed in principle, but am not real sure we have content developers
> > that are drawing and/or acquiring such images for actual use in maps.

Except people wishing to contribute graphism could have fun making big
pictures and contributing those, too.
Or we could use generated maps, or pics from somewhere else.

>   At least in my examples above, those are pretty much all in game images
> that currently exist (the map one would have to get created, but that can
> be done from the editor fairly easily).  I'm not 100% sure what type of
> images Ryo was thinking on the initial proposal.

Zoom on something (statues? maps? books?), or game objects.

Nicolas

--
http://nicolas.weeger.org [Petit site d'images, de textes, de code, bref de
l'aléatoire !]