[crossfire] Feature proposition: [img] tag

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sun Nov 22 01:22:28 CST 2009

Nicolas Weeger wrote:
> Hello.
>
>>   Off the top of the head, I could imagine some quick cases, like:
>> - Book containing information about a monster, and containing a picture of
>> that monster
>> - Same for other objects (more likely artifacts or unique rare stuff).
>> However, from a tutorial perspective, displaying the different objects
>> inline would make things much clearer, eg 'pull the lever [img=lever] to
>> open the gate' type of thing - Last case could be maps of the area - in
>> this case, it could just be images used from the editor and shrunk down to
>> a smaller initial size.
>>
>>   However, in all cases, some hint about resizing may be needed.  For
>> example, if a player is playing with a low resolution setup and has done
>> something like -mapscale 50, probably any objects you are talking about
>> that are map related should be similarly scaled.  I'm not 100% sure on
>> that.  For large images (map areas), the client would likely need to scale
>> down if it is too wide to fit in the message window (height isn't as much a
>> problem, as at least you can scroll the window up/down).
>>
>>   I'm presuming this will do inlining, and not pop up the image, but I
>> suppose it depends on usage - one could envision maps perhaps being popped
>> up since they are fairly standalone, but in the tutorial example, you
>> probably don't want that popping up.
>
> Well, I was thinking of popup images, big ones, with maps or zoomed items.
> But regular pics inline would work too.
>
> So maybe it should be [img] and [popup] at the same time? :)

  More likely want to have something like an img tag with hints, for things like
popup, desired size, etc.

  Note that anything that deals with popups can be annoying in some areas.  If
you read some scroll and it suddenly popped up a window, I'm not sure I'd like
that.  It'd probably be better as a default for the message to just be
displayed, something like 'This scroll contains a map.  Click on map image for a
larger view (small map image displayed)'

  It could be really annoying if you are reading through a bunch of scrolls
trying to find the one that actually has useful info to keep having windows pop
up.  OTOH, this is really a client side issue - up to the client to decide what
to do with it.

  One could envision that on high res displays, an image up to 150x150 may be
fine to display in the text window.  But on a low res screen, anything more than
about 30x30 may be too big to reasonably display.