[crossfire] How to integrate old stories in the game?

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Thu Nov 19 12:55:10 CST 2009

> It seems these kinds of ideas are good, though I'm not to sure about
> "wrong" information without some not insanely hard to find way to validate
> wrong data. Of the listed ideas, the first seems most likely to enhance
> play.  The last seems reasonable, though perhaps better done by having the
> missing pieces completed as a related quest progresses as though the player
> is rediscovering the history through the act of digging through and using
> this partial story data.

Validating wrong data is easy - go to the place, see there is no entrance, go
somewhere else :)

> Without really claiming to have a vision of how to pull it off, perhaps the
> wrong/partial ideas could be supplemented by a mechanism by which a player
> can actually accumulate the stories client side for perusal in more of a
> book fashion instead of the encumbering NPC communication model.  I think
> that the lore and quests in this game are hard to handle because there is
> no practical way for a player to manage the information in more than a
> piecemeal fashion.  Adding wrong and partial stories seems like it could
> go the wrong way if something was not done to balance it out.

Well, for one, players do have a brain, and they could use to remember the
stories :)
Writing sufficently fun stories would make it worth remembering them, IMO.

Though a good solution could indeed be to have client-side recording.

> Pieces of stories could have identifier tags of some kind that would allow
> them to be fit together into a document on the client.  Wrong information
> could have the same tag as good information - causing the player to have
> to decide which one was right when both were found.

I'd rather have the player organize tidbits herself.
No point in saying exactly what story a piece of text refers to, IMO.

> Agree that wrong information is more realistic in some sense, but am
> reluctant to get too realistic in this regard as it can frustrate rather
> than improve the player experience.  This game is based on a fantastic
> world rather than a realistic one.

So?
Fantastic prevents wrong/distorded information? :)

As long as the searching itself is fun, it should be ok, I think.

Nicolas
--
http://nicolas.weeger.org [Petit site d'images, de textes, de code, bref de
l'aléatoire !]