[crossfire] What to find in towns, what to find in the countryside

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sun Nov 22 01:02:34 CST 2009

Nicolas Weeger wrote:
> Hello.
>

> Right now there are many houses / maps in the various towns which have
> monsters.
>

> What about moving all that outside the towns (which after all have guards and
> such, and should probably be "safe" places?), and putting them in the country
> side?
> Except maybe some mice or dogs here and there ;)
>

> This would leave the town with many houses to put NPCs, have shops, things
> like that. And increase the number of stories to tell to players :)

  Certainly for scorn, as that is a starting area, it makes a lot of sense.  And
a lot of the monster maps in scorn don't make a lot of sense.

  For navar city, there are several quest lines that sort of go with some of the
maps in the town (old wizards tower, smuggling operation, etc).  But those are
also better in that for the most part, there is some sequence so you just can't
wander into a random house full of monsters.

  In terms of the NPC's, I think that can work.  However, I wouldn't like there
to be NPC's giving quests (not that we really have quests, but you sort of get
the idea) that you have to hunt through all the houses.  I think a method where
most of the NPC's may have some basic information (so that for example they may
have tales of haunted houses, etc) is good.  Or for that matter, if there are
NPC's in the houses with unique information, maybe some of the common knowledge
would be about that person (Bob over there is looking for someone to ...)