[crossfire] Changing connection texts

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Wed Nov 25 00:47:04 CST 2009

Nicolas Weeger wrote:
> Hello.
>
>> Suggestion to change the various messages at login:
>

> Apparently, those messages are part of the motd / server rules / news.
> So they could be changed as part of the default installation, but not that
> useful for existing servers.
>

> It's probably more a client-side modification.
>

> Or maybe a complete login rewrite is in order ;)

  While you may jest, I still think that last comment is true.

  As a very basic level, the client could request both the username & password
at once for login, with another button with something like 'create new character'

  Depending on what the user does, gets appropriate results - while I've
advocated rewriting the character creation process, that wouldn't need to happen
in this case - if the user clicks new character, it just dumps them in the
existing character creation area (but the messages there could perhaps be
customized a little better 'Enter desired character name', 'that character name
is already in use', 'Please enter password for this character', type of thing.

  If the user instead tries to login with invalid character name/password, it
should just print out a message like 'incorrect login', and not try to create a
new character for them, and try again - if the user really wants to create a new
character, they should explicitly have to hit the 'create new character button'