[crossfire] Changing connection texts

Alex Schultz agschult at ucalgary.ca
Sat Nov 28 13:25:57 CST 2009

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 20:12:23 +0100
Nicolas Weeger <nicolas.weeger at laposte.net> wrote:

> >   While you may jest, I still think that last comment is true.
> >
> >   As a very basic level, the client could request both the username
> > & password at once for login, with another button with something
> > like 'create new character'
> >
> >   Depending on what the user does, gets appropriate results - while
> > I've advocated rewriting the character creation process, that
> > wouldn't need to happen in this case - if the user clicks new
> > character, it just dumps them in the existing character creation
> > area (but the messages there could perhaps be customized a little
> > better 'Enter desired character name', 'that character name is
> > already in use', 'Please enter password for this character', type
> > of thing.
> >
> >   If the user instead tries to login with invalid character
> > name/password, it should just print out a message like 'incorrect
> > login', and not try to create a new character for them, and try
> > again - if the user really wants to create a new character, they
> > should explicitly have to hit the 'create new character button'
>

> What I'd suggest:
> - introduce user accounts, to group characters
> - let the client gather login, check if account exists, then either
> ask for password or help create account
>

> After logged in with user account, let select character or create a
> new one. Maybe ingame already - like in a map.
>

> Any volunteer to code? :)
>

> Nicolas

I like that idea personally. I'd also note that if it's a new account
it should probably skip straight to making a new character.

As far as volunteer to code? I might be able to find time to code it on
the server side during winter break... though I do feel less
comfortable with any needed client side changes (C client
libs are a bit hairy, and jxclient codebase is unfamiliar)

Alex