[crossfire] Gnome tweaking

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon Apr 19 00:43:38 CDT 2010

On 04/18/10 11:08 AM, Nicolas Weeger wrote:
> Hello.
>
> The "gnome", and "gnome2" monsters have an attacktype of paralyze, for a level
> of 6.
>
> IMO that is too hard for new players, so I've changed the attacktype to
> physical and magic.
>
> "gardengnome" on the other hand, level 25, keeps his paralyze attacktype :)

  this is mostly off topic, but in some way or another, paralyzation needs to
get changed or removed IMO.

  As a player, at any level, it is annoying to just get frozen in place an not
able to do anything about it.  At least with confusion, you may be able to
wonder out of the area, use a scroll to remove confusion (or get you out of
there), etc.

  The current solution to this is that most people end up getting a ring or
amulet that gives +100 resistance to paralyzation, so they don't have to worry
about it any more.  But that then raises the question of what is the point of
having an attacktype if most people just get immune to it (on a related basis,
draining probably needs a fix for the same reason).

  I don't have any good fix - one way might be not allowing the character to
move, but still do other actions (attack, cast spells, etc) - in a sense, act
like the characters feet are stuck to the floor.

  This in itself could be pretty annoying - that fighter gets frozen in place as
he charges the dragon, likewise, hard to retreat.  But it also allows characters
other actions, like use a remove paralyze scroll (such would have to get added)
and at least feel like their fate is in their hands.  Right now, if you get
paralyzed, really nothing you can do except hope you survive.

  (on such a change, the resist paralyze +100 items should probably become +75
items instead).  But now, with the character being able to do other actions,
they may say that another item is better use.