[crossfire] skill window

Kevin Bulgrien kbulgrien at att.net
Mon Apr 19 20:26:15 CDT 2010

> Kevin Bulgrien wrote:
> > There seems little point to argue when the agenda is so destructive.
>
> 	...misunderstandings and neglect create more confusion in this
> 	world than trickery and malice. At any rate, the last two are
> 	certainly much less frequent.
> 		-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832):
> 		   The Sorrows of Young Werther, 1774
> --
>    /* * * Otto J. Makela <om at iki.fi> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */

I appreciate the comment, and I agree with the quote.  I do feel that likely
the motive was not evil.  I do, however, believe the agenda is and was
destructive.  One does not have to have malicious and trickery to
have a destructive agenda.

Whether or not a great deal of the issue was misunderstanding, the methods
chosen where very, very poorly chosen.  Even though my initial response was
conciliatory, he chose to manipulate and escalate the situation, and clearly
was striving to take control of the .glade file situation - gathering public
opinion to override what he did not like or agree with.  This taking over
might not have been malicious at heart, but I know few people that would not
interpret as such.  For someone to dance in after years of development and
try to grab control with so little dialog is destructive and thoughtless.
If indeed he was pure in motive, surely he could have chosen to cooperate
on deciding what was best - and I still don't see a .glade file in SVN that
he has decided to maintain.

It would be nice for that side of things to be recognized as well.  I doubt
that any developer would take tactics like this well, especially after I
had redesigned something specifically for him.  Even after the fact, I have
made changes that he proposed.  I'll be glad to move on.  I hope he can do
the same, and try to take a point about what kind of things tick people off.

Kevin