[crossfire] X-rays and infravision

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sat Aug 14 23:12:29 CDT 2010

On 08/14/10 04:11 AM, Nicolas Weeger wrote:
> Hello.
>
> When a player is in the dark, using x-ray, should there be an attack penalty
> against monsters?
>
> I just fixed the code to remove that penalty, considering it's a bug, but I'm
> not totally sure actually.
>

> I think there are really two things slightly messed, x-ray and infravision.
>
>  From what I understand, x-ray lets see through walls - but shouldn't affect
> night vision.
> On the other hand, infravision should enable to see in the dark - but not
> through the walls.
>
> Does that seem ok?
>
> If so, it could be worth ensuring behaviours are correct - I wonder if x-ray
> doesn't enable to see in the dark anyway.

  I suspect it is really an artifact of the way xray is implement - it just sets
the 5x5 (iirc) area to be visible, and as such clears any darkness information,
so effectively the character can see in the dark.

  This is probably reasonable behavior - if you are on a map that uses darkness,
xray vision wouldn't let you see much if it didn't clear darkness - you can see
through the wall, but since there probably isn't a light source, you don't see
anything.

  crossfire doesn't have infravision, IIRC, but instead the 'you can see in the
dark' without really explaining the mechanics behind it (which is fine IMO).
IMO, that shouldn't let one see through walls with see in dark - it should
basically just attune yourself to be able to see in the dark (I suppose think of
night vision goggles - it just means you are more sensitive) - plus in crossfire
many walls are quite thick, and any wavelength of light that would get through
them would probably pass through everything else, which wouldn't make it all
that useful as an image source.