[crossfire] Dialog mode

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Wed Jan 6 00:43:54 CST 2010

Nicolas Weeger wrote:
>> Would the dialog system (at least, initially) work like it does now?
>>
>> Meaning, NPC response is based on key word(s) from the player character?
>
> Yes, probably keywords.
> Though the player wouldn't use the 'say' command, but click on the selected
> reply in the dialog.
> Game-wise the player will see eg 'you say azerty' while other players will
> see 'player says azerty to NPC'. Or the text could be changed ('you nod'),
> like what I started to do with the @question @reply system.
>
> This could also add more options ('give an item', 'drop an item' [NPC says
> you 'can't enter library without letting bag outside'], and so on)

  I like it.  I've never really liked the somewhat random approach right now of
trying to figure out what keywords the NPC is looking for.

  Do you imagine do this by scripts, or extending the msg/endmsg logic?

  A complication for something like player giving items to NPC is that option
can really only be available if the player has that item, but this starts
needing some scripting logic to basically say 'only present this option to
player if...'

  But a general approach could probably be done with something like:

@match hello
I know about all sorts of interesting monsters and dungeons
@reply monsters dungeons
@match dungeons

  That would cover a large amount of desired conversations - I'd think the
give/take items would be a fairly small number and requiring scripts for those
might be reasonable.  But I wonder if something @script tags could be added to
allow for calling general purpose scripts.