[crossfire] Conventions for exits in town

Otto J. Makela om at iki.fi
Sat Jan 9 20:40:52 CST 2010

Nicolas Weeger wrote:

> To have some coherence in maps in town, I'd like to suggest the following
> rules for exits:
> - in the world map, you need to apply an exit to enter the map
> - in a town map, exit is applied automatically when you step on it
>
> Does that sound ok?

I'd say this depends on how the town sub-map you are exiting is built,
either including the house surroundings or just an interior view.

If there is a door icon, you would obviously want it to work only
when applied, but if there is an "whirlwind" exit (or an hidden exit,
for example under pavement) you wouldn't want to need to apply it.

If you want to be consistent, you need to edit lots of town views,
creating surroundings for each house to be able to use the hidden
exit strategy.

Which reminds me, who remembers far back to when you were a beginner?
Did you find it confusing in the world map the way some of the 2×2
houses have a "roof" area you cannot walk over, even though some of
the larger buildings like keeps and temples do not have this limitation?
I also found it a bit confusing that there are statues and lampposts
which do block your way and identical-looking ones which do not do that.

PS. Easiest solution to create an "panic exit" for the Devourers underground
is just to hide it under a generator, that way the vampires won't activate it.
I didn't realize vampires will by default also dig through weak walls :-/
Now, where does one submit map updates?
--
   /* * * Otto J. Makela <om at iki.fi> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */
  /* Phone: +358 40 765 5772, FAX: +358 42 7655772, ICBM: 60N 25E */