[crossfire] Character names, was Re: Changing connection texts

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Thu Jan 14 16:04:36 CST 2010

>   Yep - that is my next step or work.
>
>   The only complication in all of this is player name uniqueness.  If we go
> by the idea of storing player files as lower case names, so there can only
> be one 'Mark' player on a server, regardless of capitalization (mark, mArk,
> etc), ideally you want to convert all existing player files to be all lower
> case.

Seems ok by me - any storage mechanism is ok as long as it works :)

>   The problems we run into is that tends not to be done/not clear what
> 'some time' is.  6 months?  3 years?

Add near your checking code:
if (current_date() >= "may 2010") {
	LOG(llevError, "obsolete code detected!\n");
	exit(5);
}

Issue solved :)

>   But there are really 2 cases of legacy supported needed - legacy support
> for login without the account support (for old clients), and player file
> naming.

No account support shouldn't be too hard to compensate.
Clients can reply to arbitrary "queries", IIRC - so just emulate accounts
through that.

>   The second one, as I note above, can be eliminated with some scripts.
> The first one probably needs some support - maybe 6 months after we release
> a client that supports it?

If it's on the trunk branch, I'd suggest to remove it after some days only.
Trunk is supposed to be unstable.

Or, another option I'd prefer, we forget 1.x, declare current trunk 2.0, and
then start fixing stuff.

Nicolas
--
http://nicolas.weeger.org [Mon p'tit coin du web]