[crossfire] TODO list

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Fri Jan 15 01:24:03 CST 2010

Dany Talbot wrote:
> "move to Qt/C++, to not reinvent the wheel all the time; and massively
> clean the code"

  I know someone sort of looked into doing crossfire in C++ several years back.
  Their opinion was it was probably easier to start writing the code from
scratch vs trying to convert the existing code.  I haven't looked at it enough
to say for sure, but I could certainly see it may be easier to start from
scratch but keep in archetype/map/player/protocol compatible.  On the same
basis, one could use that to clean up lots of bits of code that are their for
compatibility reasons or because that is the way things should work - one could
actually define how those things should work.

  But I suspect the stuff under Various is low priority - for the most part it
cleans things up for developers, but doesn't really change the experience for
players.

  As for other points - pretty much agree with them all.  One question/comment
however about:

reduce food supply, like divide by 10 the current values?, to give more interest
to food - right now it’s useless

  Most RPG's don't really concern themselves with the player needing to feed
themselves.  And in fact food as a rapidly decrease attribute is I'm sure
something that dates back to early versions of crossfire, which were much more
gauntlet based than an RPG.

  I wonder if part of reducing that food supply, of the food attribute should
just be removed, and the sole purpose of food is to give various benefits, like
some of the special foods do right now (give some healing, resistances, etc, for
some time).  Most normal food could be removed, except for dungeon dressing and
perhaps some quests.

  Dying as starvation because you can't find food has to be one of the suckiest
ways to die.  And having to carry around huge quantities of food because you are
going into a deep dungeon is also somewhat annoying (more annoying is realizing
you are about out of food, have to abandon the dungeon, go back, get some more,
etc).

  I guess my question would be whether food as a core stat really adds much to
the game or is as much a headache as anything else.